Want to know the difference between single core processor, dual core processor, quad core processor, hexa core processor, octa core processor and deca core processor? Explained here in simple english.
While buying a smartphone or a PC, you might have noticed that the processor is mentioned as dual core or quad core or as something else. So what it really is and how will it improve the performance of the device?
Imagine your device as a building and the programs/process running on the device as the people in it. When more people wants to enter the building, there needs to be more ways for the faster transmission. Likewise when your device wants to handle more tasks and process, it needs more cores. The cores are like the ways. More number of cores means the more faster the process can be in device.
- Single core processor: Only one core for processing all requests.
- Dual core processor: Two different cores in a single processor to handle all requests.
- Quad core processor: Four different cores in a single processor to handle all requests.
- Hexa core processor: Six different cores in a single processor to handle all requests.
- Octa core processor: Eight different cores in a single processor to handle all the requests.
- Deca core processor: There will be ten different cores present in a single processor which handles all request.
The higher number of cores is good for the gamers and users who does heavy multitasking. It will help to eliminate the hanging problems and the process will be smooth. So, if you are just going to use the mobile for basic use, it is not necessary to go for a phone with more cores.
Can the higher number of cores increase the speed of the device? The answer is partially true. Not only the number of cores decide the speed but also the RAM, cache memory and software used, are also plays the important role in deciding the performance of the device. At the same time we don’t need 8 different ways for just 4 people to travel.
Above you can see the Battlefield 3 Ultra Preset game running on the dual core and quad core smartphones. Below you can see the Heat Haze game in both quad core smartphone and in the octa core smartphone.
- Speed of octa-core mobile with 1 GB RAM ≠ octa core mobile with 2 GB RAM.
- Speed of octa-core mobile with 1 GB RAM will be slower than quad-core mobile with 2 GB RAM.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon quad core processor can outperform Mediatek octa core processor. [Check the Best chipset among Mediatek, Qualcomm snapdragon, Exynos, Spreadtrum and Intel]
Mobile phones doesn’t require much cores, a quad core processor can do almost all jobs. Also, more cores will reduce the battery performance slightly less. Hope we have explained it better. So choose the one according to your need. You can ask your doubts below.