Do you want to know what is the meaning of IPX0 to IPX9K rating of the water proof in mobile phones and other gadgets? Here you can learn about the various water proof and the dust proof standards.
The word IP in waterproof ratings stands for the ‘International Protection Marking’ or as ‘Ingress Protection Marking’. Everyday new smartphones with the waterproof technology is being released with a specific water resistance rating such as the recent Moto G with IPV7 waterproof. When the X on the IPVX increases in the rating then the water resistance capacity of the device is also increases.
Various Waterproof Standards
- IPV0 – This rating means that the mobile phone doesn’t have any resistance against the water.
- IPV1 – Provides protection against the minute drops of dripping water. The amount of water which the gadget can withstand is equal to the 1 millimeter of rainfall per minute for up to 5 minutes.
- IPV2 – This has protection to the dripping water in horizontal position with some force. The amount of resistable water is 3 millimeter per minute up to 5 minutes.
- IPV3 – Resistance against the spraying of water until the 60° and the device can work until its 0.7 litre per minute under the pressure of 80–100 kPa for 5 minutes.
- IPV4 – No harm to the device if 10 litres of water is splashed per minute under the pressure of 80–100 kPa for the duration of 5 minutes.
- IPV5 – Water can be injected from the distance of 3 meters through a 6.3 mm nozzle with the force of 30 kPa for up to 3 minutes from any direction will have no effect on the mobile phone.
- IPV6 – Here the water is applied through a 12.5 mm nozzle with the pressure of 100 kPa for the time period of three minutes can be tolerated by the cell phone.
- IPV6K – Water can be injected from the distance of 3 meters through a 6.3 mm nozzle with the increased pressure of 1000 kPa at distance of 3 meter for 3 minutes is protected from entering the internal parts of the mobile phone.
- IPV7 – The smartphone can be submerged under the water to the depth 1 meter. The mobile will tolerate the water at least for 30 minutes but it may not withstand for more duration.
- IPV8 – This rating is given to the smartphones which can be held under the water to the depth of 3 meter for more than 30 minutes of time. So you capture the videos and the photos of your fish by even placing your mobile inside your fish tank.
- IPV9 – This has the full protection against the water sprayed from extreme pressure of 8000–10000 kPa / 80–100 Bar in the temperature of 80 °C. This can give protection against the water of up to 16 litres per minute.
If you are buying a electronic device and if it says it has water resistance then you have to check its water resistance ratings. So, you can know the robustness of the device against the water.